What is an ERP solution?
How is the ERP solution different from MRP. MRP II and CRM solutions?
When and why shall I consider a new ERP solution?
What is the best ERP solution for my business?
What are the benefits of an ERP solution?
Are ERP solutions always installed on my server?
What is the difference between On-Premise and Cloud-based ERP solutions?
What are the benefits of On-premise ERP solutions and are vendors still providing them?
What are the benefits of Cloud-based ERP solutions?
What should I look for when choosing an ERP solution?
What kind of businesses use ERP solutions?
What are the risks associated with ERP solutions?
How the ROI of implementing an ERP solution is measured?
Aren't ERP solutions used for accounting purposes?
OBS ERP FAQs
Can you help me understand what is OBS ERP and how it works?
Normally ERP software is offered as an in-house system and cloud-based service. What are my options with OBS ERP?
What does our company need to prepare when we implement OBS ERP?
How long will it take to implement OBS ERP?
Is it possible to migrate our old data to OBS ERP?
Can we integrate OBS ERP with third party software?
Why OBS ERP? What are the advantages?
What technology is OBS ERP built on?
Is OBS ERP scalable?
Can we add new users or deduct users at a later date?
Will we need to expand our IT resources in order to be able to use OBS ERP?
Can OBS ERP provide training to my employees on how to use it?
How OBS ERP supports the product after implementation?
How much does OBS ERP cost and how I will be billed?
Who uses OBS ERP and can I see case studies of clients of yours?
What if I don’t want to use all the OBS ERP functionality?
I use OBS ERP, but I need new features. Is it possible to expand the functionality?
How can I sign up for OBS ERP?
How customizable is OBS ERP?
Are there software maintenances and are they going to be an impediment to use OBS ERP?
Can I cancel my OBS ERP Cloud Services?
If I do not pay my subscription fee on time, is OBS ERP going to keep my data?
OBS ERP Cloud Services are offered only in a SaaS model. What if the Internet goes down?
Can I manage more than one company with OBS ERP?
Can I manage my website from OBS ERP?
Can I set levels of access in OBS ERP?
If I use OBS ERP SaaS, how can I be sure my data is protected against physical and environmental threats?
Who can access my company data?
How often is the data backed up?
Q: What is an ERP solution?
A: ERP is an acronym for Enterprise Resource Planning. It came from the Material Resource Planning solution (MRP) developed in the 70s and later on became Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP II). In the 80s MRP was used by companies in the manufacturing and distribution sector. In the 90s, different providers have improved MRP and MRP II solutions by adding accounting, HR, finances, and other functions and by doing that the term was evolved to ERP - an enterprise-wide solution for automating business processes and operations.
Q: How is an ERP solution different from MRP. MRP II and CRM solutions?
A: As mentioned, MRP is the predecessor of today's ERP systems.
The purpose of MRP solution is to keep track of what materials are needed to produce certain products by creating a bill of materials (BOM) when the materials shall be ordered to maintain the production and what amount of stock is always needed to be available in the warehouse.
MRP II was created as an improvement of MRP as manufacturers began to request the expansion of the systems - capacity planning, scheduling, payroll, etc.
CRM (Customer relationship management) is a solution with the purposes of automating the sales and marketing functions of an organization, personalizing communication with leads and customers.
MRP, MRP II, and CRM solutions can be used as a standalone system or as a part of a full ERP system. Solutions, that are highly customizable like OBS2GO can be modified and virtually used as an MRP, MRP II, CRM or all at once. However, the possibility for expanding the functionalities exists and you can always add different features later-on.
Q: When and why shall I consider a new ERP solution?
A: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it". The old saying may be true for some aspects, but is it true when it comes to ERP solutions? ERP platforms have massively developed the recent years. Today's new generation ERP solutions can actually have a dramatic impact on the efficiency and productivity of your organization - quicker implementation, more possibilities and features, and an opportunity to grow along with your company.
Here are the indications that you would need a new ERP:
- You use multiple systems for the same task
- The software solutions you use have no connection between them and you do a lot of manual work
- The time you spend looking for information has increased dramatically. Information should be easily accessible
- Increasing customer complaints about poor service. You have to be able to deliver what customers want, when they want, to the right locations
- Inability to expand the business. Your solution must be able to scale up, support new business lines and handle global needs
- You use handwritten notes as it's easier than using the current system
- You enter the same data into more than one system
Q: What is the best ERP solution for my business?
A: The correct answer is "it depends". The requirements may vary across the different industries and business sizes. Whether your organization has specific compliance demands, ease of use is a must or you need a flexible technology, it is important to ask your potential ERP provider these questions in order to be sure they can address your unique needs.
Q: What are the benefits of an ERP solution?
A: The benefits of using an ERP solution must outweigh the costs of the system. It is clear that each company looking for an ERP solution has their unique goals and needs they would like to address. However, here are some common benefits of using an ERP system:
- All the information is in a single integrated system
- Standardized processes that are based on best business practices
- Increased information flow and facilitated information sharing across departments
- Increased efficiency
- Reduced redundancy and re-keying
- Streamlined processes and workflows
- Tracking actual costs of activities and performing activity-based costing
- Better planning, tracking, and forecasting of resources which leads to reduced inventory costs
- Opportunity to supply decision makers with important reports regularly
Q: Are ERP solutions always installed on my server?
A: No. Traditional ERP solutions are still largely on-premises (in-house). However, more and more ERP clients want to decrease their costs on their IT departments and servers and ERP providers are responding accordingly by giving the opportunity to use the solutions as SaaS (Cloud-based).
Q: What is the difference between On-premises and Cloud-based ERP solutions?
A: On-premises is the traditional model. The solution is being installed on a client's server and support, maintenance and upgrades are depending on the agreement. This model is attractive to medium-sized and large enterprises.
Cloud-based ERP is a subscription-based model where the user pays the service monthly, quarterly or annually per user. The payment includes the support and/or maintenance agreement. This model is attractive to micro and small to medium-sized enterprises.
Both models have its pros and cons and of course, it all depends on the requirements and needs the client addresses.
Q: What are the benefits of On-premises ERP solutions and are vendors still providing them?
A: The number of companies that offer on-premises solutions is decreasing every year. Happily, we at OBS2GO are one of the few software vendors that still offers on-premises ERP solutions for our clients. Here are some of the benefits of hosting ERP solution on your servers:
- Data control - when you host your ERP on your servers you control everything along with the security measures against unauthorized physical access
- Less vendor dependency - ERP solutions are often implemented for long-term periods up to 15 years. Even in the case that the provider goes out of business, your solution will not cease to work
- Limit on-going costs - the upfront cost is higher, but the total cost of ownership will end up lower. And year by year the average cost per year will become lower and lower. When you are choosing what type of ERP to implement, it is mandatory to compare the investments for 5, 10 or even more years
- Customization - greater ability to customize (although with OBS2GO the customization possibilities are pretty much the same)
- Security - the hardware is installed locally, so an on-premises solution can be better controlled and closely monitored
Q: What are the benefits of Cloud-based ERP solutions?
A: Here are some of the benefits of using Cloud-based ERP solutions:
- More flexible - you and all your employees can use it anytime, anywhere and have access to real-time information
- Reduced costs - upfront cost is lower and there's no need for servers or IT departments
- Easier scalability - no matter if your staff is increasing or decreasing, you will be billed on what you have used the previous month, quarter or year
- Considerably less time for implementation since no local adjustments should be made
Q: What should I look for when choosing an ERP solution?
A: Choosing an ERP solution is a critical and very important decision. That's why you have to determine the best fit. When you select the perfect ERP software, you may consider some of the below factors:
- Business requirements - your ERP solution must be designed for your industry and your business size
- Modules selection - often ERP solutions are module-based. It is important to limit the scope of the implementation to the modules that address your needs and will be used
- Scalability - your ERP solution must be able to grow with your business and evolve with your business environment. If the system cannot be upgraded, customized and changed easily, after a couple of years it will be outdated
- Support - the integration of ERP solution demands time and efforts from both sides. That is why the post-implementation support is an important aspect. Any issues that arise afterward should be addressed and fixed so that the system works smoothly all the time. Before choosing the right ERP vendor, it is important to understand the level of support that you get. It is quite common clients to pay for higher levels of support if the business requires it
- On-premises OR Cloud-based ERP solution - like it is already said, there's a big difference between the two ERP models. Your company could have resources for servers and IT staff to keep the system in-house or require on-premises ERP due to compliance. On the other hand, you could be looking to cut costs and digitize your data. The structure and business model of a company would define what an ERP model should be chosen
- Employees feedback - your employees would be the ones that use the solution on a daily basis. That's why employees from every department should preview the platform and be sure that the solution will meet their requirements
Q: What kind of businesses use ERP solutions?
A: Nowadays, ERP solutions are beneficial to different organizations regardless of the size and the industry. In the past, large organizations have used resources planning software. However, in recent years niche solutions have been invented and that made it possible for small and medium-sized businesses to implement ERP systems. When it comes to the industry differences, modern solutions have the opportunity to build unique systems, designed for specific companies and there's no company that doesn't have financial activities, collaboration with clients, partners or counterparties or have processes that can be automated and optimized (manufacturing, project work, providing different services to clients, etc...). If you want to learn more about customizations, take a look at OBS ERP Custom Solutions.
Q: What are the risks associated with ERP solutions?
A: Although ERP solutions have the potential to provide many business benefits, if not managed properly they can cost more and do more harm than good. We assume it is better for our clients to approach the ERP project from a business perspective, instead of a technical perspective. It is very important to align the new technology with your staff and your processes. If the ERP solution you have chosen can't support optimized processes or your people can't do it either, the system will improve neither data visibility or will help to streamline processes, which is one of the main goals of the implementing ERP software.
Q: How the ROI of implementing an ERP solution is measured?
A: The ROI method is used to determine the financial success of the investment. The goal of an ERP implementation is to optimize processes, increase data visibility, save time on key operations and improve corporate governance. Thus, determining the ROI of an ERP investment depends on the goals of the organization and depends on the effectiveness of the business that incorporates it. Here are most of the key parameters of measuring return on investment of implementing resources planning software:
- Reduced inventory level, by optimizing planning and control
- Minimized deficit and interruptions, by improving the production efficiency
- Lowered labor costs, by efficient planning and minimizing staff overtime
- Reduced administrative costs, by applying no paper policy and digitizing record-keeping
- Saved time on key operations, by automating processes
- Increased revenue from projects, by budgeting, planning, and tracking of time and external costs
Q: Aren't ERP solutions used for accounting purposes?
A: Many businesses implement ERP systems after realizing that their entry-level accounting software lacks key functionality, scalability and does not provide the visibility they need. However, ERP solutions do so much more than accounting. It gives the opportunity to have control over every single detail in your organization. For instance, OBS2GO has developed functionalities under a module-based model that cover numerous possible activities within a business structure, such as collaboration, communications, CRM, document management, fleet management, HR, project management and tasks, sales, warehouse and more.
OBS ERP FAQs
Q: Can you help me understand what is OBS ERP and how it works?
A: OBS ERP helps companies of different sizes running their businesses, facilitate and automate both internal and external processes and achieve data integrity. We believe that flexibility, awareness, and synergy between the different departments are the keys to success for every organization. We have created an intuitive, scalable, highly customizable and easy to use platform around the precise and specific needs of the different industries which could be integrated in very short terms.
OBS ERP has more than 60 modules, divided 11 sections of modules. Depending on our clients' specific needs, we design the architecture for the right solution for them.
OBS ERP sections of modules:
- OBS Accounting
- OBS Collaboration
- OBS Communications
- OBS CRM
- OBS Docs
- OBS Finance
- OBS Fleet Management
- OBS HR
- OBS Projects & Tasks
- OBS Sales
- OBS Warehouse
Using that principle, we have built 5 different solutions around the business needs of 5 specific industries. With the right configuration and customization, if needed, they could be implemented in less than a month.
OBS ERP solutions and what companies they are suited for:
- OBS ERP BPO - companies involved with customer interaction services, back-office transactions, IT and software operations, finance and accounting services, HR, etc...
- OBS ERP Construction- small and general contractors, owner-builders, real estate developers, package builders, and sponsor-builders, etc...
- OBS ERP Financial Services - banks, credit unions, insurance companies, stock brokerages, investment funds, etc...
- OBS ERP Manufacturing - metallurgical, engineering, chemicals, textile, food processing, high-tech companies, and others
- OBS ERP Project Management - companies where PM is involved - construction, healthcare, engineering, IT, energy and others
- OBS ERP Custom Solutions - the fact that our system is highly flexible and easy to customize, allows us to recreate different business processes from a technical perspective. When it's done, the system will still be fast, intuitive and scalable and all the modules will be communicating with each other.
Q: Normally ERP software is offered as an in-house system and cloud-based service. What are my options with OBS ERP?
A: The number of companies that offer ERP as an in-house system is decreasing every year. Happily, we at OBS2GO are one of the few software vendors that still offers on-premises ERP solutions for our clients. Along with that, we offer OBS ERP as SaaS (Cloud-based ERP) with monthly subscriptions. So basically, the two options for you to sign up with OBS2GO are:
- OBS ERP On-Premises
- the system is installed on your servers
- less vendor dependency - the system is "bought"
- limit on-going costs - higher upfront and lower support per month
- OBS ERP Cloud-based
- reduced costs - no need for servers
- easier scalability - you can add or deduct users every month
- faster implementation - no adjustments with the local server
Q: What does our company need to prepare when we implement OBS ERP?
A: The very first step in implementing OBS ERP is to be aware of your current and future strategic goals, business processes, IT maturity or your company, departments, people and roles involved and BI needs. In short, a concrete business process is needed. Once it is established, we will need you to assign a project manager from your side, and a team will be dedicated from our side in order to help you with OBS ERP adoption.
In fact, when it comes to implementation we have a unique approach consisting of three steps - Discover, Configure and Finalize. If you want to learn more about how we implement our solutions, take a look at OBS ERP Services Configuration.
Q: How long will it take to implement OBS ERP?
A: We are proud to say that as a solution, OBS ERP is easy to customize and very flexible. That's why the time for adoption will be certainly lower than the average ERP implementation on the market. Based on the assumption that your company knows what to expect and have the necessary data available right away, we can implement OBS ERP as early as one month - best case scenario. However, in the case that companies have growing requirements, incomplete or incorrect data, management changes it can take more. At the end, they all will achieve data integrity and greater visibility, but for a longer period - 2-6 months - worst case scenario. In the average case, the implementation of OBS ERP will take 1-3 months.
Q: Is it possible to migrate our old data to OBS ERP?
A: To some point - yes. We can migrate your old data when it comes to contacts, companies, counterparties, inventory items, users, chart of accounts, etc... When it comes to finances, we can import the beginning balances, but not the transactions.
Q: Can we integrate OBS ERP with third-party software?
A: Yes, OBS ERP provides the possibility to be integrated with other solutions, as long as they allow connectivity with third-party systems. At the moment we have integrated OBS ERP with the following third-party providers:
- Traviola - reservation system
- Evrotrust - e-signatures
- Google Maps
- Mailchimp - email marketing
- Twillio - SMS
- VIES Validation - VIES VAT number validation
- Authenticator - two-factor authentication
- BNB - exchange of rates information
Q: Why OBS ERP? What are the advantages?
A: OBS ERP is a solution designed to integrate different functional areas in an organization such as finances, accounting, sales, inventory and distribution, project management, manufacturing, HR and BI. Here are some of the aspects that differentiate us:
- More than 60 integrated modules, interacting real-time and providing full visibility on the business
- Multi-language (English, French, Spanish and Bulgarian)
- Ultrafast Go. OBS2GO is the first ERP in the world fully developed in Golang
- Functional upgrades without programming
- Fully customizable without coding
- Web sites content management
- Integrated Email and Chat
- Two-factor authentication with a QR code and or SMS
Q: What technology is OBS ERP built on?
A: OBS ERP is the first ERP system built on Golang. Data is stored in a secure SQL database and Cloud services run on Amazon EC2.
Q: Is OBS ERP scalable?
A: OBS ERP runs on Amazon EC2 and using Amazon's server infrastructure. We can scale our solution depending on the workload.
Q: Can we add new users or deduct users at a later date?
A: Our clients can decide at any time how many active users they would have.
Q: Will we need to expand our IT resources in order to be able to use OBS ERP?
A: OBS ERP is a perfect fit for companies with limited IT resources. Thus, it will be even easier for organizations with big IT departments. The configuration of OBS ERP requires no coding skills, the customization would require no more than 5% of coding work. Therefore, you wouldn't have to expand your IT resources even if you adopt OBS ERP On-Premises (except for the server's maintenance). However, if you implement OBS ERP Cloud-Based it will be even better for you, as the system could be managed from one person who wouldn't need to be a coding expert.
Q: Can OBS ERP provide training to my employees on how to use it?
A: Yes, we can. While implementing OBS ERP we will make sure that the person in charge of the project acquires all the required knowledge in order to work with the system and be able to share that knowledge with the colleagues. However, we offer a wide range of flexible training services that you and all your staff could benefit from.
If you want to learn more about how and what training services we provide, take a look at OBS Services Training.
Q: How OBS ERP supports the product after implementation?
A: We have a variety of support resources - guides, FAQs, documentation and video tutorials. You can use as well our ticketing system where our highly trained and friendly support team will help you with everything you need.
If you want to learn more about what support services we provide, take a look at OBS Services Support.
Q: How much does OBS ERP cost and how I will be billed?
A: OBS ERP costs vary depending on a number of factors. Whether if you choose on-premises or cloud-based solution, modules included, number of users, etc. Here are some of the key components of OBS ERP cost planning:
- Configuration services
- Customization if necessary
- Training services
- Post-implementation support
- On-premise fee
- Active users usage fees
Q: Who uses OBS ERP and can I see case studies of clients of yours?
A: Although we are on the market since 2015, we have clients from numerous industries and different sizes - tourism, construction companies, project organizations, manufacturers, companies that provide educational services and many more. You can check some of our clients in OBS ERP Clients.
Q: What if I don’t want to use all the OBS ERP functionality?
A: That would be a rare case since at the implementation planning level we understand our clients' unique needs and requirements and we prepare a system solely with features that are necessary. However, if you shut down a business line and you no longer need certain modules, there would be no problem for us to remove them and deduct the price from your monthly fee of OBS ERP Cloud-Based. If you use the on-premise version you'll have the opportunity to add and remove modules.
Q: I use OBS ERP, but I need new features. Is it possible to expand the functionality?
A: Yes, at any time. If you need new modules, we can easily add them to your system and integrate them with the already established solution. If your unique needs require additional customizing, there is almost nothing that we can't do.
If you want to further explore OBS ERP customizing possibilities, take a look at OBS Services Customization.
Q: How can I sign up for OBS ERP?
A: You can use the Contact Us form or you can sign up and TRY FOR FREE OBS ERP after a short registration (No Credit Card Required). You will have instant access to an instance for 14 days trial. Meanwhile, you will be contacted by one of our ERP Consultants who will be there to provide you useful information.
Q: How customizable is OBS ERP?
A: OBS ERP is very easy to customize. Simply go to "Constructor" and turn on and off modules as you want, add or remove fields and change their names and the relations between them. In addition, you can set authority-based access, create the security levels desired and select the users for them.
If you want to further explore OBS ERP customizing possibilities, take a look at OBS Services Customization.
Q: Are there software maintenances and are they going to be an impediment to use OBS ERP?
A: OBS ERP introduces updates once a month. When we do it, we typically choose a day during the weekend so that it doesn't interfere with the work of our clients.
Q: Can I cancel my OBS ERP Cloud Services?
A: Yes, you can cancel your OBS ERP Cloud Services subscription. The requirement is a written notice sent a minimum 30 days prior to termination.
Q: If I do not pay my subscription fee on time, is OBS ERP going to keep my data?
A: After the expiration date, your instance will be suspended for a period of 30 days. During this period you will not be able to access OBS ERP Cloud Services, but your data will be intact and your account can be reactivated upon your payment. During the suspension period, you'll have the opportunity to request all your data and we will either provide it to you or will give you the opportunity to download what you need. After the suspension period, we will completely delete all your data from our servers.
Q: OBS ERP Cloud Services are offered only in a SaaS model. What if the Internet goes down?
A: The Internet can never go down. However, it's possible that your connection to it goes down.
Q: Can I manage more than one company with OBS ERP?
A: Yes. In theory, you can manage an unlimited number of companies with OBS ERP and you can have an unlimited number of users of each one who will have their credentials, different security levels and different responsibilities within OBS ERP.
Q: Can I manage my website from OBS ERP?
A: Yes, you can use OBS ERP as CMS (Content management system) for your website.
Q: Can I set levels of access in OBS ERP?
A: Yes. It is very easy and you can create an unlimited number of groups of users. They could be role-based or highly specific to individual employees.
Q: If I use OBS ERP SaaS, how can I be sure my data is protected against physical and environmental threats?
A: OBS ERP Cloud Services is hosted on AWS (Amazon Web Services) to ensure we provide the world's best cloud infrastructure. AWS follows the best-known practices to guard against physical and environmental threats. Physical access is closely controlled by security staff and video surveillance. All AWS employees pass two-factor authentication to access the data centers. All visitors and subcontractors are obliged to present ID and escorted by authorized staff.
To recap, if you use OBS ERP Cloud Services, all your data will be stored on servers that are in a data center with 24-hour security, uninterruptible power supply, real-time scanning, personnel security, firewall, and power, climate, and temperature control.
Q: Who can access my company data?
A: The number of employees with access to all the information is extremely limited, due to the fact that the administrator accounts normally are between 1 and 5. For the rest of your staff, you need to make sure you have set the right levels of access. Further security measures that OBS ERP provides, are restricting user logins to specific IP addresses. That's how you can make sure only authorized people would have access to their necessary data.
Q: How often is the data backed up?
A: Data is backed up on a daily basis - three times per day.